Does not appear as VS2008 Installed Template

Jul 8, 2009 at 5:03 PM

I've installed the Class Builder Wizard for use with Visual Studio 2008, but it does not appear under Visual Studio installed templates for VB or C#.

I have a very standard installation of VS2008 on an XP SP2 machine.

Any suggestions?

Tom

Coordinator
Jul 9, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Hi Tom,

I would suggest the following:

1. Open the "Visual Studio 2008 Command Line" from the Visual Studio Tools sub-folder in the Start menu.
  2. Run devenv.exe /setup

I'm guessing the installer wasn't able to perform this step after installing the plug-in files.

Please post your results here.

Thanks.

-Jason

Jul 9, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, it still doesn't appear.

Tom

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2009 at 2:55 PM
Edited Aug 3, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Hi Tom,

Sorry about the long delay. I'm afraid I haven't been checking the forum a lot lately.

How are you trying to use the add-in? Are you opening a new c# or vb project (non-web) and trying to add a new item to the project?

Thanks.

-Jason

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Hi Jason,

No problem with the delay. I've been busy with other things myself.

I am trying to use the add-in by adding a new item like this screen shot reflects. I've also tried installing it on my desktop and laptop at home without success. I have the full version of Visual Studio 2008, so I must be doing something wrong.  It just seems like such a useful program that I would like to get it working if possible.

Thanks again for your continued attention to my issue.

Tom

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2009 at 7:04 PM

That does seem strange. I have the same setup on both of my machines. I have the full version of VS 2008 with SP1 installed on the C: drive. I'm running the RC of Windows 7 with UAC turned off. Everything works fine. In fact, I just installed it again this morning on a freshly re-paved laptop.

Do you get any error messages? How about any error messages when you run devenv.exe /setup from the command line?

Could you please check to make sure the following files are present in your Visual Studio 2008 folder (mine is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0 but yours might be different)

\VC#\CSharpProjectItems\ClassBuilderWizard.vsdir

\VC#\CSharpProjectItems\ClassBuilderWizard.vsz

\VC#\VC#Wizards\CSharpClassBuilderWiz\Templates\1033\file1.cs

\VC#\VC#Wizards\CSharpClassBuilderWiz\Templates\1033\file2.cs

\VC#\VC#Wizards\CSharpClassBuilderWiz\Templates\1033\script.sql

1. Once that is confirmed, create a new C# Class Library project.
  2. Right-click on the project in solution explorer and choose "Add > New Item"
  3. In the "Categories" pane, choose "Visual C# Items" (should be the root item in the tree view)
  4. See if the "Templates" pane contains the "Class Builder Wizard" item. Depending on the other add-ins you have installed it may or may not be toward the top of the list.

Please let me know your results.

Thanks.

-Jason

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:22 PM

I just installed Windows 7 RC over the weekend so I'll first try and install it on that machine and see how that goes.  If I encounter any issues, I'll try all your suggestions to date. I'll let you know the results.

Thanks again,

Tom

Aug 6, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Jason,

It works beautifully on my Windows 7/VS 2008 SP1 machine. I didn't have to do anything but install it.

Thanks again for all your assistance!

Tom

Coordinator
Aug 6, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Hi Tom,

I'm very glad it is working for you. Thank you for your interest in this project. Let me know if you have any further issues.

-Jason