Support for VS 2010

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Hi!

I was curious to see if, and when, you plan to support VS 2010?

Thanks!

Mike

Coordinator
Sep 27, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the late reply. I presume you are asking because you need this feature, is that correct? I didn't have any plans to update the installer, but I certainly could if there is a demand for it.

Thanks.

-Jason

Oct 21, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Hi,

I could really use the updated version too.  I was using the VS 2008 version - but the powers that be have now switched to VS2010.   Is there any way I can tweak the current version to get it to work with VS2010? Tried reinstalling it , but it won't even be seen in VS2010.

B

Coordinator
Oct 23, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Alright, I have looked at supporting VS 2010. Ideally, I would have time to create a package that could be placed in the Visual Studio Gallery, but right now, I don't see that happening. In the meantime, follow these steps to get the wizard working in VS2010:

1. Install the wizard by downloading it and running setup.exe (or the .msi if you're sure you have all the proper prerequisites)
  2. During the installation, check the Visual Studio 2008 option.
  3. Once the installation is completed, you need to copy some items from your VS2008 installation folder (usually c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 9.0) to your VS2010 installation folder (usually c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 10.0). Those are:
    1. CSharpClassBuilderWiz folder in the .\VC#\VC#Wizards sub-folder & VBClassBuilderWiz folder in the .\VB\VBWizards sub-folder
    2. ClassBuilderWizard.vsdir & ClassBuilderWizard.vsz in the .\VC#\CSharpProjectItems & .\VB\VBProjectItems sub-folders
  4. Note, if you don't have VS 2008 installed when you run the installation package, look in the installation folder for the wizard. You will see several folders named "VS2008 CSharp Install Folder" (would be C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC#) and "VS2008 VB Install Folder" (would be C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VB) where you can find the files you should copy to your VS 2010 install folder.

Go ahead and post your questions regarding this process here.

Thanks.

-Jason

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Hi Jason, thanks for the info.  I did try and do what you said.  I copied the files to the locations you mentioned, but I still don't seem to be able to access the Class Builder.  I used to be able to right click and select to add a new class builder and then the wizard would begin (I think, I am going from memory when I say that) but now I can't seem to find it.  I also tried creating a new project from scratch instead of adding classes to an existing project (both in ASP.Net and just a windows project) and saw no templates or wizards that have anything to do with class builder.

I am really hoping i can get this working. If you have any other ideas, let me know.  thanks again!

Coordinator
Oct 28, 2010 at 3:40 PM

One step I did forget was you may need to run devenv.exe /setup from the Visual Studio Command Prompt (2010). Be sure to run it as administrator.

Apr 17, 2012 at 5:08 PM

hi jason,

i would like to know if it's possible to use classbuilder in vwd 2010 express?

thanks in advance!

Coordinator
Apr 20, 2012 at 2:35 AM
kandokou wrote:

hi jason,

i would like to know if it's possible to use classbuilder in vwd 2010 express?

thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, the express version of Visual Studio are not supported. Also, VS 2010 support is unavailable.

Thanks.